Wednesday, January 16

Eggplant Parmesan

When it's cold and rainy like it was today, all I want to do is hibernate inside my tiny kitchen and cook comfort food. Normally, comfort food is heavy and high in fat. This eggplant parmesan (which has no parmesan in it, by the way) is light and healthy. I used light and fluffy farmers cheese instead of mozzarella and baked the eggplant slices in the oven instead of frying them. It was so easy and such a snap to put together. You could easily add more eggplants to have a higher stack but I prefer a two eggplant maximum for my stacks. I also like to add toasted pine nuts on top for a nice crunch.




Eggplant Parmesan
1 eggplant
cheese of your choice, I used Farmers cheese
handful of basil

tomato Sauce, I use Mids tomato basil sauce
toasted pine nuts

1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices and place on a baking sheet in one layer. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender. It will go in the oven again at the end so it doesn't have to be cooked all the way through.

2 Spoon some sauce to cover the bottom of a baking dish. Next, arrange half the eggplant slices in one layer. Then some sauce, then some cheese, then basil. Repeat until all eggplant slices are used up.

3 Bake all together again in a 400 degree oven until cheese is soft and cooked down. Garnish with more basil and toasted pine nuts.